You’ve always wondered how it feels to indulge in a massage session. Most of your family and friends have tried it and you hear nothing but positive feedback from them. There’s a part of you that wants to try it for yourself and another part of you that feels conscious about having another person touch your body.
The hot stone massage is probably the solution for a person like you. During most of the time of the session, it would be the stones which will be doing most of the work, relaxing your body and releasing tension from your muscles. Only minimal skin contact will be received from the therapist.
With the growing popularity of this hottest fad in massage, it is probably about time that you try it for yourself. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your first hot stone therapy.
Select a convenient location and arrangement. A local day spa is a good choice for first-timers since everything is already set up for you. Get recommendations from family and friends or research online to learn about the facilities and amenities of the day spas in your town.
- Schedule your appointment on a day that is not very hectic. A weekend free from all work and plans is ideal since this will allow you more time to relax before and after a session.
- Dress comfortably. Avoid wearing many layers of clothing when you go for a massage. A hot stone therapy session will require you to be naked but you will be appropriately covered with a blanket during the session, exposing only a part of the body being treated at a time. If you’re feeling self-conscious about being naked, be sure to tell your therapist so she can make arrangements for you to feel comfortable and less anxious.
- If you have a long hair, tie it up to a ponytail so your hair won’t get in the way when the therapist works on your neck and shoulders. It’s also a good idea not to wear any jewelry.
- Arrive on time. You need time to relax and cool down before the session.
- Communicate with your therapist for any preferences that you may have. If you like dimmer lighting, or the aroma of the room makes you dizzy, or you prefer another type of background music, never hesitate to speak up. Good communication is one of the keys to having an ultimate massage experience.
- Drink plenty of water before the session to help flush out the toxins from your body. Do the same after to avoid getting dehydrated.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal at least one hour before your scheduled appointment.
- Relax. This is probably the most important step in your preparation. Loosen up those tightened muscles and let your mind wander and take you to a peaceful place where there is nothing to worry about, where the words laundry, office work or stress do not exist.
Once you’ve experienced how blissful and relaxing a session of hot stone therapy is, you’ll surely be looking forward to your next.